Buch Hiob (Book of Job)
First read the guiding questions, then read
the text, taking notes as you go along.
Write your responses to the following questions.
You may respond either to individual questions or combine several
into short essays. Post your responses to the Discussion Board.
(Discussion Board Posting 4)
Buch Hiob (Book of Job), Chapters 1 - 5, 39, 42 (skim through
the remaining chapters)
- Describe the state and condition of Job
when the book begins.
- Describe the relationship between God and
Satan in this book.
- Who brings up the name of Job first?
- What is at stake in the disagreement between
God and Satan concerning Job?
- What happens to Job as a result of this
- What happens when God and Satan meet for
the second time?
- How does Job react to what has happened
- How does the reaction of Job compare with
the reaction of his wife and his friends?
- When God and Job discuss what has happened,
how does God explain things?
- How does Job respond to God?
- What happens to Job at the end of the book?
- Were you already familiar with this story?
Were there any discoveries for you in this reading?
When you have completed this part of the lesson, continue to
Goethe's Faust, Part I.